Tuesday 19 April 2011

Recce for Stranraer Group. Girvan to Tormitchel Circular April 2011

I always find a tree lined avenue on my walks!

This guy has seen better days.

Tormitchel Quarry.Reminds me of days gone by.

A farmers display of captured moles.

Little wind today so the turbine just turned very gracefully.

Wild Primula growing beside a stream.

TV mast on way to Saugh Hill.

Who knew that Girvan has a gardens of this name?

Orchard Gardens.
Today Tuesday April 19th saw me off to Girvan to recce a walk for Stranraer and Wigtownshire Ramblers that I am leading a week on Saturday.Starting at the car park at the South end of the town I went up towards Shallochpark and picked up the Carrick Way . As I started to climb I met the local farmer with dog who asked me where I was going and was I familiar with the ethics of the country code. After I assured him and gave him my planned route he was very polite and wished me a very successful walk.Farmers like him I can tolerate.I won't give too much deatail as this is only a recce and a full blog will appear on the day of the walk. As I approached Tormitchel Quarry I could see men working and it reminded of my day's in that industry. Quickly passing the quarry bathed in the sunshine I soon forgot these stupid thoughts and headed back up the hills.On my approach to Girvan it was very misty probably a heat haze yet again,that's twice in one week I have experienced this strange phenomenon . On my descent to the town I encountered whin bushes which I can assure bloggers are bloody prickly at this time of year. I have worked out a safe passage through as long as no one pinches my markers before the actual walk. On my way into the town I came accross a wee gem of a park by the name of Orchard Gardens a way off the tourist trail and was a welcome stop on a hot day after all my strenuous climbs. I thought I knew Girvan fairly well but I never knew this place existed. The ramblers walk is on Saturday April 30th meeting at the car park just South of Girvan by the coffee stall and public toilets at 10.00AM.Strong footwear is required along with gaiters if you have them though not essential for this 9mile "B" grade walk. All members of rambling groups and visitors will be made very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment