Monday 4 July 2011

Ben Narnain near Arrochar .July 2011

Looking back to Arrochar over Loch Long.

Goliath must have placed this rock!


A view of Ben Ime (1011M)


Ben Arthur known as the Cobbler (884M)

Heading up to the trig point on Ben Narnain(926M)

Me at the summit


Here's one I took earlier myself!

"Don't jump!"

A view looking down Loch Long out to the Firth of Clyde.

I came down this through all the rocks.

Walk finish 1 mile from the village.
SORRY I failed on my challenge today. A long story but basically I took a wrong turning and added 2 to 3 miles extra on to my walk. Last night I consulted the Right Honourable Secretary on the most direct route to take me to the summit of Ben Narnain and then onto Ben Arthur. Perhaps I did not listen properly but when you climb out of the forest you take a path to the right but no I know better I went straight on and finished up at the back end of the mountain and had to back track a fair bit on my new way to the summit. My problem then was there is a bus at 2.30PM leaving Arrochar for Glasgow or the next one is not until 5.50PMwhich is a fair old time between buses then I still have to get back to Ayr.So decision taken I will go down the route that the RHS wanted me to climb in the first place. His discription of this route was mild scrambling involved. Of course he meant when you are going up but alas I was coming down. It was not steep it was bloody vertical in places. At this point I thought do I climb back to the summit or to hell I have started so I will finish. Opted for the latter but it took me two falls and over two hours to complete due to loose rock and scree. Next time I must pay more attention. Anyway alls well that ends well I made it back to the bus stop with 10 minutes to spare nae bother to the big man. Next time and there will be a next time I am planning to climb from Arrochar up to Ben Ime (1101M) and then come back via The Cobbler (884M)paths are a lot better none of that scrambling involved. Don't have a date for that yet but will keep an eye on the weather forecast for another settled period  I will have another attempt. Back home not beaten scarred a wee bit I am even more determined to complete the challenge now.One defeat does not deter me.WATCH THIS SPACE.

2 comments:

  1. Cobblers !
    Well done to do what you did anyway Gordon.
    You had some great views.
    Intrepid Slewtrain says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for doing it, anyway. It's the 'good hill days' that count really, not whether you got to the summit. Looking forward to your next walking chronicle.

    ReplyDelete