Thursday 28 July 2011

Perth to Luncarty by The River Tay walk. July 2011

One of the two main bridges in Perth over the Tay.

A fine example of a weeping willow tree.

These gates protect the city from river floods.

Inscriptions on bridge detailing the heights of the floods.

I had a coffee break as this tranquil spot on the river.

Great paths provided for fishermen and walkers.

"He only caught a cold!"

One of many fine barley fields.

Highly recommended.


A greenhouse made out of plastic bottles at my grandson's nursery.

This is the reason for my visit.
Today I had the pleasant task of collecting my grandson from Perth to bring him to Ayr for the other grandsons birthday party which is on this Sunday.Not one to miss an opportunity for a walk I decided to take the 6.15AM bus from Ayr to Glasgow and then onto Perth arriving there at 9.00AM. As I did not need to collect the wee one until the afternoon I set off on the riverside walk to Luncarty 6 miles from the fair city of Perth.The weather was a wee bit dreich with  intermittent drizzle which was a bit of a shame after all the good weather we have had in the last week. Undeterred off I went passing through the North Inch golf course following a cycle track which ran alongside the river. My thoughts were that this would be a great day to do some bird watching but they are not as daft as me due to the weather they all went into hiding.Lots of fishermen were out trying their hand at fly fishing some in small boats others were in their waders presumably out for the salmon that makes this river so famous.On the other bank I passed Perth Racecourse which held a meeting yesterday maybe a bit of bad planning on my part. The drizzle eased a wee bit as I approached the village of Luncarty which is really a suburb of Perth. Now I had a choice of carrying on to the next place which was Stanley or I could go for a pint in the Luncarty Inn. The pint won needless to say and then I took the bus back to Perth where I met Anne who had travelled on a later bus. Picking up our grandson from nursery was a first for us both and he was very excited at showing us round to meet all his friends. I was particularly interested in a greenhouse they have built out of old plastic bottles all donated by the kids.What a wonderful project for them to become involved in . Once the tomatos ripen I have been promised one by my boy. Once we left the nursery it was back onto the bus again for the trip back to Ayr. Of course with the wee one we had to sit upstairs in the front seat so he could drive us all home. Geat day despite the weather Anne managed a visit to M&S and I  got a river walk I had not done before.

2 comments:

  1. I doubt i'd know much of Perth these days,but it was well visited when I was a youngster.Some of the finest salmon in the country came out of the Tay.I don't know if that's still the case.

    It might have been a dreich day,but the nice big smile from the wee man must have brought the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gordon Nice to see your grandson and the greenhouse made of bottles - what a handsome lad - just like his grandfather! At least you had a nice dry day for the birthday and bouncy castle -I'm sure a great day was had by all - by now you'll be ready for your kip - shattered but happy!
    Yesterdays walk was hard going - I struggled with that first hill but once I had a break and a couple of puffs of ventolin I was on track again! Enjoyed the descents more than the accents! But more than anything I enjoy the company and the blether! Had a nice long lie this morning - heaven - it's so nice to know I don't have to get up too early
    Mags

    ReplyDelete