Wednesday 16 May 2012

Straiton to Dalmellington. May 2012

Me at the top of Auchenroy  Hill(367M).
Today Wednesday May 16th I met up with the teacher and  travelled courtesy of our bus passes to the lovely village of Straiton in South Ayrshire. I have had an idea of this walk from the village over the hills to finish up in Dalmellington. Armed with our GPS's and maps we made our way up over Monument Hill on a clear partly sunny morning,once on the summit  least to say we took a wrong turning and finished up on different hills than the ones I had planned. This could be a future walk for a group but as I am now at home with  "Memory Map" on my PC I can see where we went wrong . The going was a wee bit tussoky and boggy in places but we eventually finished on Auchenroy Hill or so we thought but to be honest we were on Grimmet Hill. A lot more reccing will need to be done to test this walk out for a group outing to   finish up in Craigengillan Estate not on the hard road we walked back to Dalmellington on. A 9 mile walk with potential but will involve some more visits to finalise a good route. We travelled back to Ayr by bus via Patna a journey full of surprises with visits to parts of our lovely countryside that one does not get the opportunity to see when you go by car. Super day out making full use of the bus pass.


PS. Just had the Newton Stewart Blogger on the e mail correcting me that in actual fact we were on the summit of Auchenroy and Garritt is the steep hill down to the road. The trig point web page confirms this and I am more than pleased to correct this mistake and I will endeavour to do more research in future before having the audacity to question the mistro on matters that he is so profoundly expert in.My sincere apologies sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment