Wednesday 11 February 2015

Kilmarnock OIR. Carrick hills (yes again) February 2015

Alone on a hill

well almost

4th visit in 9 days for me !

On summit of Brown Carrick hill.
To complete my fourth visit to the summit of Brown Carrick I joined 16 members of Kilmarnock OIR ( opportunities in retirement) for a 7 mile circular route from Alloway Burns Centre. It was a cloudy calm morning as we climbed  past Newark Castle estate to take us up onto the moors before crossing over to the Brown Carrick. The summit today did not give us such wonderful clear views I had experienced over the last few days however our leader was still able to point out various places of interest. Lunch was taken on the hill before an interesting route back down towards Doonfoot with several fences and gates to be negotiated complete with barbed wire. The last part of todays walk took the group along an old disused railway line back to Alloway village. I have really enjoyed my visits to the local hills over the past week there was never a day that the walk was the same as previous ones as there are so many variations to this small range of hills.Thanks again to everyone I met today we had a another successful day out and I look forward to meeting you all again on another OIR outing in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment