Thursday 16 June 2011

Cycle run from Ayr to Largs. June 2011

Lots of wildfowl here.

This guy decided to give Royal Ascot a miss this year.

This is only 800 yds from a council tip!


Today I am cycling.

The hydro also hosts some famous football teams.

I found a tree lined avenue!

Hunterston Castle. (circa 1500)

Another view of same.

Largs marina home to thousands of yachts.


The Pencil Monument at Largs.
Today I set off on the trusty bike to cycle to Largs  (36 miles) It is a sunny breezy day perfect for cycling. As I blogged Ayr to Irvine last week with all the golf courses I will start this blog from Irvine.The route takes you up part of the river Garnock and the authorities have created a wetland here so there were plenty of ducks and wildfowl to be seen. By- passing Kilwinning is not a bad thing to do as I have a bright orange bike and some of the locals may not be too keen on it. A nice tarmac track took me to Stevenston which is the start of what is known locally as the "Three Towns" Stevenston Saltcoats and Ardrossan which I blogged as a walk in February 2011 with South Ayrshire Ramblers. So again no need to repeat any of it.Once I left the towns the next port of call is Seamill with its splendid Hydro which lots of football teams use particularly prior to a major game so that the management can keep an eye on the players and stop them from getting up to any mischief. West Kilbride is next and was the subject of the blog prior to this one . Passing the Crosbie Hills which we climbed on Tuesday I made my way to Hunterston Castle  which is set in lovely grounds and cyclists are allowed along the many paths, lots of trees here shield you from that awful power station which I believe is to be decommisioned in 2016. The path now passes by Largs Marina with its fabulous yachts berthed there obviously the recession does not affect everyone in the same way. Some of the boats would not look out of place in the South of France. On entering Largs from the South and only accessable on foot or by bike is the famous Pencil Monument built in 1912 to commemerate the Battle of Largs which was in 1263. The Norwegians were defeated in this particular battle and Largs today still has lots of Viking connections. As I arrived in the centre of the town I thought of taking the ferry over to Millport and finish off the day going round the island. At this point the heavens opened quite unexpectedly with hail and rain. Decision taken and I headed straight to the railway station and back to Ayr after a great days pedaling.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done sir.
    I was intrigued by the Seamill Hydro so I've been taking a gander online.I see they do 'Senior Citizen Breaks' at concessionary rates.I like the look of that.

    ReplyDelete