Saturday 30 June 2012

Wigtownshire Ramblers.Rowantree to Haggis Hill. South Ayrshire. June 2012

Today's merry group.

Always have a picture of the leader.
Today Saturday June 30 I  had the honour of being the walk leader for my mother group to take them on a 5 peak circular trek in the South Ayrshire hills . As my very good friend and mentor will be producing a blog of the walk on his web site I will keep mine brief hence the lack of pictures which when you see the quality of his on "The Newton Stewart Bloggers"page you will understand that  I cannot compete with the professionals.11 of us met at the Bell memorial car park on a cloudy but dry morning before we climbed up Rowantree (552M), Craigenreoch (565M),Pinbreck(549M),Changue(521M) and finally a good old Scottish named hill called Haggis. (507M). Steep descent took us down to the Nick of the Balloch which is a glen cutting a swathe through the hills where we had a lunch stop. At this point we then split into two groups some opting for a 2 mile road walk back to the start whilst the  others went with me on a path alongside the river. We had two very heavy showers during our 7 mile walk but as usual it takes more than that to dampen our spirits. Thanks to all who turned up today I will try and arrange better weather for my next walk with this group.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great walk Gordon, we should have stuck with you for that last stretch. It's a wicked climb up to Witches Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye I have done it both ways . Your route avoided the soft going but as you say its a steep climb to the bridge. Motto for future walks "Stay with the leader". Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete