Thursday 7 February 2013

Outing to Ballantrae. February 2013

Site of June 2013 barbeque.

Some local notes on salmon fishing

and also the herring.

At one time this would have been a busy harbour.


Some early flowering crocuses.
 
Yesterday Wednesday February 6th I headed off by bus to Ballantrae on a cold but very sunny morning. The journey on the coast road after Girvan was wonderful with the Island of Arran and it's snow capped mountains standing out clearly on such a clear day. Once in Ballantrae I went down onto the shore to have a look at the site that Anne and I are proposing to use for two barbeques we are organising for ADRC and also Wigtown ramblers in June when hopefully the weather will be a lot warmer than it was yesterday.Passing through the village to the harbour I then went into the garden centre for a light lunch and to purchase my seed  potatoes for this year  I have always found their quality excellent and have used this source for the last 5 years,Epicures for the earlies and Desiree for the main crop.Pleasant run on the bus back to Ayr ended a lovely winters outing , giving me the opportunity to look at the hills I know so well and to remind myself that it won't be too long before I am up there again.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see your recovery going well Gordon.
    Looking forward to the barby.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete