Sunday 3 March 2013

Culzean Castle and estate. March 2013

Carpets of snowdrops in the woodland

Very imposing castle overlooking a calm sea.

The large doors of the castle firmly shut for the winter.

The Shanter riding school were in the park today.

New lambs enjoying the first steps of life.
Today Sunday March 3rd I went on the bus to the Maidens to hopefully meet up with Ayr and District ramblers who were climbing Mochrum Hill  which was wonderfully blogged by "The early Ooters" last year. My intention was to phone the walk leader and find out which way the group was going to use on their return to the Maidens. Well of course I had not fully anticipated that the mobile phone signal in that part of West Scotland is very poor so I did not manage to make contact with anyone. Undeterred I walked through the village into the estate up past the Swan Pond to the castle which is closed at present for the winter, thinking as I am walking I may meet the group yet coming back through the grounds. This did not happen so I presume they were walking on the dis- used railway line which is full of uneven surfaces so as I was on my own I did not venture this route. Finishing up at the castle gates I caught a bus back to Ayr to end a most enjoyable 4 mile linear walk in the spring sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. Ayrshire - Championship Golf Courses, Stately homes and Castles, Robert Burns, Birthplace of Robert the Bruce, and a magical coastline. What more could you ask for.

    Good to see you 'on yer bike' yesterday Gordon.

    ReplyDelete