Sunday 2 March 2014

Wigtownshire ramblers. Bargrennan linear walk. March 2014

No photos today and the reason will become apparent as I type this little story. Yesterday I left bright and early to rendezvous with my mother group at Bargrennan in south west Scotland. I took my car to Girvan where I got on the bus to take me to the start. Now I had checked the details the night the before got the post code for the start at Bargrennan Hall (NB not the grid reference)which told me that it was next door to the House O Hill hotel. Bus duly arrives at 9.45AM for a 10.00  start and as it was a beautiful morning I was quite pleased with my progress so far. As I waited several cars past me but not full of familiar faces when I thought there is a problem so I phone my old mucker "The Newton Stewart blogger" and get no reply and as he was poorly last week decided he had not ventured out. On my phone I have several members email addresses but not their mobile numbers. No one was about where I was standing so I decided to walk to Glentrool the next hamlet along the road. Once in the village I had my coffee and fruit in the grounds of the local school when I saw the local postman busy delivering his letters so I decided to ask him have you seen a large group of ramblers on your travels today to which he replied "AYE" they are parked at Bargrennan Hall car park which was about 500 yards away from where I had been waiting. Eventually the penny dropped it was me that was wrong and not the group changing the walk at the last minute. It was now after 11.00AM and they would be well on their way with the walk so there was no chance of finding them so what to do with myself I asked when I decided to cut my losses and head home on the bus that was due in 20 minutes. Lesson to be learnt here is to contact the leader the night before a walk as the rules state to confirm you are going and most importantly WHERE IS THE WALK START.
PS. I backed  three  winners at the horses in the afternoon coupled with Partick Thistle to draw with Ross County made the day improve immensely.(A modicum of ale was also involved)
PPS a well written blog of the walk will appear on the Newton Stewart bloggers site as he in actual fact did make the walk yesterday ,he just did not hear his mobile ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment